View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 07:13   #901
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You can't compare this with the energy companies, because there is no choice other than go with one of them.

Nobody forces you to subscribe to any TV service, do they?
I can compare them to the big six energy companies - I’m the one grounding my analysis in economics here, thank you very much. Having the choice of buying a service or not doesn’t mean competitive pricing.

Could almost anyone reasonably have the means to set up a rival streaming service? No. Barriers to entry are high. Pricing trends to oligopoly.

Could almost anyone set up an independent retail outlet to sell goods similar to those in a supermarket? Yes. As demonstrated my hundreds of thousands of small independent grocery stores, bakeries, fishmongers, off licences and others up and down the country. Barriers to entry are relatively low by comparison. Pricing trends to perfect competition.