View Single Post
Old 26-11-2018, 17:17   #5699
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
And actually on a serious note, I think that computer games are part of the problem, as is Sugar, but another thing that is part of the problem is there doesn't seem to be much opportunity (or encouragement) for kids to play outside these days. Parents seem to assume that there is a Paedophile around every corner, or their child is going to get dragged away by a gang.. OK, both *are* distinct possibilities, but don't apply everywhere.

Also, my niece and nephew go to a school that has a catchment area with a radius of under 1 mile. Every morning and afternoon, the roads around the school are blocked with cars that vanish when the parents have dropped off or picked up their kids. I'd wager that most of the parents could walk their child to and from school. Something which would be better (and cheaper) for them, and better for their children and the Environment (especially as some of them have quite large cars). And yes, they walk to and from school.
Yes l agree with you that there are several factors involved in children not getting enough outside play compared to 30 years ago as first of all sugar has far more of a impact factor in ones ongoing health then fat has as one of the big problems we have is food manufacturers are very powerful and clever in the way they advertise to the general public as not only do the advertise their branded products pretty relentlessly but they then plug a more health conscious version which they then say is then much better for you but when one looks into it its not as healthy as they say it is.

When we were younger we walked the mile and a half to school and done the same to get home later in the day but sadly many parents as you say don't do that nowadays and its going to need a big culture for that to change IMO.

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

Quote:

As for the fast food restaurants, I think education is key. We need to educate people that going down the kebab shop, or Maccy D's should be a treat, not a daily occurrence. I think schools also need to re-introduce Home Economics, as someone needs to teach the kids to cook with fresh food, and I don't think a lot of parents bother.
Yes l quite agree that Home Economics should be introduced again as to me cooking is a life skill that never leaves you once you learn it as to put it bluntly its pretty depressing that a considerable amount in this country don't even know how to cook the basics.

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Quote:

Still, back to the playing fields. Local councils have, with a lot of encouragement from Central Government, spent the last 30 years or so selling off school playing fields to make up funding shortfalls, but they really haven't thought things through. We are facing a generation of kids who are increasingly obese. This will put extra strain on the NHS, and will ultimately cost us ALL more.
Short termism which ends up costing the state and the NHS a lot more sadly as there was a National Audit Office report released this morning and one of the watch words they mentioned was government short termism and the need to end it.

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

Quote:
Parents seem to assume that there is a Paedophile around every corner, or their child is going to get dragged away by a gang.. OK, both *are* distinct possibilities, but don't apply everywhere.

Known as dirty old men when we were children as Paedophiles are nothing new as l think one of the big problems is parents read the media and then form the perception that there is a Paedophile around every corner which quite clearly there is not as the chances of a child being abducted according to the police figures is very low.