View Single Post
Old 24-09-2018, 14:47   #34
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Flat Earth Society

I was listening to a Flat Earther on the radio. I was slightly put off by the fact he started off as a famous Youtuber (not necessarily a group you would associate with massive intelligence), but as I follow a few Youtubers that actually do seem to be quite intelligent, I was willing to disregard that feeling, and, I feel, approach the interview with an open mind.

In short, I believe that all available evidence says the earth is round, but was willing to be proved wrong.

What I got was a man who, when asked how the water didn't fall of the edge of the earth, replied that there was a thousand foot tool Game Of Thrones style wall of ice around the planet.

When asked what happens when you fly around the earth, when happens when you get to the edge (bear in mind that planes can easily go above 1000 feet), he replied you disappear from one side of the disc and appear on the other (which sounded like the warp tunnels in Pac Man), and when asked for evidence, cited the fact there are apparently holes in GPS coverage for large chunks of the southern hemisphere (although he didn't call it that, because a hemisphere requires a globe)

Apparently, the fact that there are large holes means that no one knows for sure where each plane is while in one of these holes. Now, while I am not a pilot, I'm fairly certain Pilots have other, admittedly less accurate, methods of navigation available than GPS, and I'm fairly certain the plane doesn't just vanish off radar when it hits a spot with no GPS.

I went into the interview of the opinion that while I think the earth is round, I was willing to be proved wrong. I came out of the interview still thinking that, but also thinking the interviewee was an idiot.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote