Thread: UK Timeline Doctor Who
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 15:38   #353
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
All that said, there never was a showrunner’s bible for Doctor Who and much of what we think we know about Time Lords and Gallifrey was only ever invented when a story came along that required it. The Doctor’s universe is still being invented to this day. That’s probably a major reason it has survived so long. It’s always fresh and can always be adapted to fit stories that appeal to its current audience. I have no doubt that over the coming seasons the show will explore the psychological effect of a time lord sex change, and as all good sci fi does, will most likely generate a discussion about contemporary issues at the same time.

I have read in the past that if you watch enough Doctor Who episodes, it actually contradicts itself in a lot of areas, which may be as a result of the writer making changes to canon to fit in with the story, it can also be a result of bad writing. Changing canon to fit the story, if done well, can improve things. Take Genesis of the Daleks. It did make changes to the back story of the Daleks, but concentrated on areas that had been largely left alone by other stories, and was well written, so felt like an extension of the Dalek backstory rather than a rewrite. Even though the special effects look cheap (even by 70s standards), it's still probably my favourite Doctor Who story.

We've had disagreements on here in the past about female Doctors, but I think the Doctor Who is good as long as it has well written, well acted stories, and I suspect you actually think the same. It will also hopefully provoke some interesting discussions, both on and off line. I look forward to it.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote