View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 18:07   #2640
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
I'm not sure I get what you mean here. You said that MEPs from other countries gang up on UK MEPs so UK loses in the European Parliament. In some ways, you are right but some of that is due to the Conservative MEPs leaving the influential EPP group and forming the smaller ECR group. The second factor is the rise of UKIP and the EFD group whose 'winning' record is the lowest in the EU Parliament. An interesting analysis of voting records in the EU Parliament is available here - http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/20...an-parliament/ You can see the decline in winning positions from EP6 (2004-2009) and later.

However, being in the 'losing' side doesn't mean things are undemocratic. Should Labour supporters regard the UK Parliament undemocratic? Indeed, should Remain voters call the referendum undemocratic because they didn't get their way?

On the council side, the UK votes on the winning side almost 87% of the time. Here's an blog post part written by the same poerson who did the Parliament analysis, Simon Hix - http://ukandeu.ac.uk/explainers/does...-of-ministers/ Again, you can see the decline in the UK winning position post 2009
We're never going to agree. I'm arguing on a different plane from you.

My advice is at your risk.