View Single Post
Old 07-03-2018, 16:56   #169
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That very much depends on what one wants to watch.
Well, my expectation is that there will be a range of OTT services available covering all the genres, so you'd just pick those that you are interested in. Not everyone likes nature, science and engineering programmes, and if you are one of those people, then Discovery is not a service you would wish to watch. However, if you are a more serious kind of person who is drawn to factual programmes, this might be right up your street.

These will all replace the free and pay-tv scheduled channels in due course and so you won't be paying twice over. I envisage VM providing packages of on demand and OTT content that will look something like this:

Freeview on demand:
Featuring BBC i-Player, ITV Hub, All4, Demand 5, (or perhaps a 'Kangaroo' style package Netflix style which the regulatory authority stopped from happening back in the day)

Virgin Showcase
With Virgin exclusives and other acquired content such as ABC Studios, UKTV, etc

Sky With Sky original and acquired content - similar to Now TV with general entertainment, dramas, documentaries, films and sports.

Netflix With their mix of dramas, films and documentaries.

Amazon Similar to Amazon, but possibly with the addition of sport.

Hayu Featuring reality shows.

Discovery With factual programming including nature, science and engineering programmes.

Eurosport Player Featuring Eurosport programming, which may expand from today's offering.

YouTube for music, and the rest as now.

Curzon Films

Virgin Movies

Virgin Media Store

And so on. So you would pick the material you were most interested in and just pay for them. My choice out of that lot would be Freeview On Demand, Virgin Showcase, Sky, Netflix, Amazon and YouTube, which I suspect would cost me in the order of £45 at today's prices. Much better value than our current cable subscription, and at the moment of course, many of us are already paying for Netflix and Amazon on top.

Of course, VM may seek to give us a more extensive choice of these OTT services and may build on what they offer under their Virgin Showcase offer. The better the range of material on there and the better the range of OTT services, the more revenue they would generate.

There would be no separate charge for channels on the EPG because that would not exist anymore.

That's how I see it, folks!

Last edited by OLD BOY; 07-03-2018 at 17:04.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote