View Single Post
Old 21-09-2017, 23:33   #162
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I am not advocating the Singapore option for our trading arrangements, but a low tax economy would certainly be an attractive option for Britain if the EU refused to agree to an amicable arrangement with the UK.

As for the balance between the public and private sector, I think we should apply whatever is most efficient. Some things are best done in the private sector, some in the public sector. I really think we pay far too much attention to which sector is providing the service. Some would have the public sector doing everything, just for the sake of it.
Many thanks, Old Boy. The issue I envisage is that 80% of our exports are services, we're not a manufacturing country like Germany or Poland although that's not to undermine the likes of Vauxhall and Nissan to specific parts of the country (Wirral, Sunderland).

The issues are:
- Services are delivered locally due to time zone constraints, travel, cultural differences etc.
- The delivery of services to the EU (our largest services market with 400m customers) is dependent upon common standards. The Swiss and Norwegians get this and are EEA members ie rule-takers and budget contributors not rule-makers. Why should we expect a better deal than Switzerland, one of the richest countries in the world?
- Developing countries in the Middle East which might substitute for some of the European market are quite protectionist and don't necessarily share our values in the way that European countries do.
- The EU has been the most successful body at concluding trade deals. It's not holding us back. Which significant opportunities are we being denied that leaving the EU will open up?

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Interesting poll 52% of the country wants to remain in the EU.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7960226.html