View Single Post
Old 21-06-2017, 16:52   #182
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Huge fire at West London tower block

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
There should be no amnesty and no payments to illegal immigrants and even the thought of that demonstrates why this country is becoming a joke. From what I've read so far it was a tenant on the fourth floor responsible for the fire and they just left without raising the alarm great neighbour there. The decisions that led to that cladding need to be asked and answered but we also have to look at responsibility that may lie with the tenants as well, I've been to tower blocks before where doors were wedged open and smoke detectors disabled because people wanted to smoke in comfort. There is definately blame and responsibility within the council but at this stage all avenues of blame and responsibility need to be looked at.
Totally agree. Whilst I have sympathy for everyone involved on a humane level, politically and financially I don't think that those who should have not been in the building should be compensated.

Boris Johnson made a sensible argument for doing this though. He believes that by doing so the body count will be more accurate and those responsible can be held to account for all the deaths.

---------- Post added at 15:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
I'm trying to work out how a claimed 600 people would fit into a total of 225 bedrooms, in mainly 1 or 2 bedroom flats.
It's well known that foreign persons are willing to put up with overcrowding and 'bed in a shed' situations for various reasons, without a thought for safety, regulations etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were a number of people living/staying there who shouldn't have been. Sub-letting is an increasingly common problem in our major cities and then of course there could well have been family friends who were being put up unofficially. That'll be why the police said quite clearly the other day that people should report 'anyone' who'd been in the block at the time and they had no interest in why they were there.

I do think the authorities need to be 'interested' in this problem, however, because overcrowding tends to lead to rule breaking (e.g. overloaded electrical outlets) which can also be the cause of fires etc. Yes they do need to be sensitive in the circumstances but IMHO they also need to know that the people in those flats were supposed to be there and that occupancy rules were being followed.

Anyone who doubts the scale of this problem ought to check out some of the rogue landlord type TV documentaries which show how common serious sub-letting is - I've seen examples in which dozens of people, almost always foreign nationals, have been crammed into very modest, usually unsafe houses with just mattresses on the floor. They're being terribly exploited and put at severe risk by landlords who have no morals at all and they don't feel able to complain because they're either illegal immigrants or have no other choice of where to live.
Very true. Good point about overloading electrical sockets too. Also, staircases are built to regulations for safety reasons. I assume that they will have been built to accommodate the evacuation of the maximum number of people expected to be in the block at any one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I wonder if this is to include those that were in the block illegally?

Either way, if I was born in this country and currently homeless I'd be pretty annoyed about this.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote