View Single Post
Old 28-01-2017, 18:36   #394
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It's what a customer claims she was told as opposed to Sky openly saying this.

Sky are technically correct in that the Discovery channels could stay on the Sky platform as Free To Air, Free To View or standalone subscription channels.

How viable this would be as a business model is another question...
Quest is FTA anyway via Freeview. It hasn't appeared on FTA satellite, but this may be due to the sports coverage overflow from Eurosport. Discovery was on cable long before it arrived on satellite via Sky. Not to mention that all the channels are Pan-European so have an audiance that extends far beyond the UK/Ireland.

Discovery have seperate agreements with Virgin & BT, & clearly state on their website that only Sky customers are affected:

http://www.keepdiscovery.co.uk/faq/

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I know that Sky are lying, however, i've been told that VM get their HD feeds by fibre and SD feeds via the satellite.

Can't remember if it was an SD or a HD channel that I was watching on VM last night, but the ticker advice for Sky customers appeared at the top (think it was Discovery Science).

I don't think that this has a HD variant, so perhaps this explains why the ticker is being shown to VM customers??

Could this mean that for technical reasons, as opposed to the Sky/Discovery dispute itself, that we will lose access to the SD Discovery channels from the 1st February??
Anything going through the Discovery channels UK output suite will appear on all customers TV's. They cannot add it seperately to the satellite uplink. HD channels are fibre fed & VM has access to several distribution satellites which the channels could also use. Also, as with the BT Sports channels, there is nothing to stop them using the Astra transponders privately for distribution & giving reception cards to Virgin, even as a short term solution.

Last edited by nodrogd; 28-01-2017 at 18:22.