View Single Post
Old 27-01-2017, 08:48   #845
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Corbyn's kerfuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I think we are getting hung up on the relative libertarian credentials of process and means and outcomes here and not getting the bigger picture. Corbyn's outcomes are libertarian because they create economic and social freedoms. The means of getting there do not necessarily have to be authoritarian. Measures such as investment in jobs, the environment, housing, education and training, enhancing worker and human rights etc are enabling devices. This kind of intervention is also a libertarian process. No doubt some of these cannot be achieved without laws and codes of conduct that restrict employers ability to unfairly exploit their workers. If you think taxation is authoritarian rather than an essential funding device then I suppose all political colours are authoritarian. My yardstick is the extend to which the vast majority have their liberties advanced.
I think you mean liberalism rather than libertarianism? Libertarianism is about as little government as possible, i.e the very basics. Liberalism is less dramatic although generally supports free markets and individual freedoms (the former is why I wouldn't classify Corbyn as liberal).

What you're talking about, government intervention in reducing inequality as inequality itself is barrier to true freedom, is social liberalism.