View Single Post
Old 26-01-2017, 22:48   #4
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: Sky Discovery (potential) switch-off (technical)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
I don't watch TV but I'm interested from a technical perspective:

Assuming Discovery Networks were to disappear from Sky in February, would that mean that VM's feed is affected?

Or (more likely maybe) would Sky / Discovery leave the satellite signal active (so VM can continue to receive it) but send an entitlement management message to Sky's customer's cards to disable the channels just for Sky viewers in the short term in case dispute has been resolved?

Or maybe VM already receive those channels via fibre?

As far as I know, VM take their discovery channel feeds from the same Astra satellite that feeds the Sky service - and they use Sky viewing cards. If this is so, then in theory, anyone who happens to have a third-party Videoguard CAM that doesn't receive EMMs from Sky were to accidentally take their official Sky card out of their Sky box just before the decision is taken to stop broadcasting, then accidentally insert that card into their third party Videoguard CAM, presumably they might be able to continue watching Discovery for a few days...
The majority of VM's HD channels are received line fed & uncompressed to the master headend near slough. Feeds can be added this way, not to mention several distribution satellites that VM also have dishes aimed at.