View Single Post
Old 19-12-2016, 08:10   #3345
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
That's far too simplistic a view .The 'winning side' is getting 100% of it's own way ,there is no doubt about that because we are leaving the EU ,that is what was voted for .However the terms of that departure are very much open for discussion,they should and will involve everyone because it will affect everyone.Trying to compare a referendum result with a general election result is totally bizarre and quite frankly smacks of desperation as people run out of arguments to keep remainers out of the equation .

---------- Post added at 07:07 ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 ----------

I voted out because i do not agree with the single market and freedom of movement ,i did not have British sovereignty at the forefront of my decision making simply because we have always retained the ultimate sovereignty ,it is that parliamentary sovereignty that is taking us out of the EU.I accept that some minor aspects of sovereignty were relinquished as a condition of EU membership but we have always retained Parliamentary sovereignty

---------- Post added at 07:15 ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 ----------

The government managed to give Nissan assurances that meant they would be staying so why can't the government do the same for the rest of industry ?
Yes it is a simple/simplistic comparison but it's purely intended to make a point, nothing else. Anything would be 'simple' in comparison to the exercise we are now embarked upon so what other analogy wouldn't be? Nobody here seriously expects remainers not to have a view about what happens now but it's perfectly clear that a good number or people would like to see the result reversed or bogged down in legal challenges to the point that it stalls so it's perfectly acceptable to challenge that.

As for the deal being done and dusted - I think we're a long way from that and what I fear isn't constructive debate, it's deliberate attempts to delay and confuse the process which then leads to other remainers claiming HMG isn't being decisive and hasn't got a plan blah blah blah. If we're not careful and the EU doesn't fall apart before the exit finally takes place, we could just find ourselves securing a deal which nobody is happy with.