View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 14:17   #1731
Jong1
Inactive

Jong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enoughJong1 will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I fully expect a better range of apps to start appearing as well before too long; after all, the new box is designed for apps and this is completely in keeping with the direction of travel.
Sorry, I have to link this article from 2010 once again! http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/cable...ng-apps-to-tv/

What happened to that? I'll tell you what I think. It was next to impossible to get people to build apps for the TiVo, unless funded by Virgin.

And I would argue the need for such a facility is far less now than it was in 2010. Almost all modern TVs have slick app capability themselves. Almost all the apps Virgin will have will already be available on them. This is certainly true of Netflix and YouTube, the only 4K ones so far. If people do not want or cannot use their TV for apps there are numerous, cheap, far more feature-rich boxes that are really built for apps - Roku, Amazon Fire TV etc. I find it hard to see how the V6 will win in the app market against these other solutions with almost certainly a far greater range of apps available, more frequently updated.

Last edited by Jong1; 01-12-2016 at 14:23.
Jong1 is offline   Reply With Quote