View Single Post
Old 20-11-2016, 22:05   #1919
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
SWMBO used to work for DWP there was a guy who worked there, who had no legs & one arm missing

Outside of work he was a foster carer, heavily involved in the disabled footballers supporters association, He also carried the torch in the Olympics relay.

If someone who has one functioning limb can work FT hours. Is it a massive ask? I dont know?
The same disabilities affect different people in different ways, as does any treatment/medication taken to help with them eg cancer.

After I posted about someone with cancer being told that to receive any benefit, he would have to stop his anti cancer treatment and look for work instead (basically he had a choice, die of cancer or starvation), someone once posted on here that he worked with someone who had cancer that managed to stay working throughout.

I explained that it all depends on what type of cancer, how it affected him personally and how any medication affected him personally that mattered.

I think that some people have a little experience of things and wrongfully assume that every case is the same.

Then there are the disabilities that untrained people believe that they have a right to comment upon and make assumptions about eg mental illness.

Untrained people that have been doing the face to face interviews for PIP have been coming out with ridiculous and offensive remarks like:

- To a man with acute depression who said that he had a history of suicide attempts"how come you're still alive then"?

- To a person affected by Thalidomide "Do you have any idea when your leg will grow back again"?

This is purely a cost saving exercise and has nothing to do with helping disabled become more independent etc.

I used to work full time, but have had to go part time. Who knows, I may need to give up work altogether in the future.

This will be my decision and not someone like the idiots quoted above.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote