View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 12:53   #1906
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
And the full text is

The word 'currently' makes the difference....

For instance, one of my team leaders has Lupus - at times, she is not capable of working, but most of the time she is; we cater for this, and work together to mitigate the impact of her condition.
There is a difference tho between someone already in employment getting an illness and someone trying to find work. Not to mention senior staff are more likely to be accommodated.

I think the statement on WRAG is not worded well, but what it is supposed to mean is that the person has been assessed as unable to work during their prognosis period but are expected to recover at the end of it and as such should make preparations for going back to work e.g. keeping their CV up to date.

I think the idea of WRAG was ok, but the implementation has been aweful. The DWP had an opportunity to genuinely help people but instead relied on a system of threats and sanctions and like to call it helping people. This has in turn just made most claimants fearful of appearing able to work and ultimatley less enthusiastic then was hoped.

Charities seemed to have not learnt their lesson from last time, they will probably be told all sorts of promises by government officials and then something different will happen to what they been told. The clue is in the wording of statements e.g. one statement mentioned the SG was targeted to only have 10% of claimants in it but actually has close to 50%, so one primary reason for the rehaul will be to get that down to the target in future, in other words reinventing disability so less people are classed as unable to work. The people found fit for work will probably get no more help than before, I may sound negative, but my comment is based on whats happened in the last 20 years of reforms.

If PIP is used as a precedent, I can forsee them increasing payments to those who qualify so they can claim more help is been provided but alongside changes that make a lot less people getting support.

Last edited by Chrysalis; 01-11-2016 at 12:58.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote