View Single Post
Old 22-10-2016, 11:50   #2151
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
The Canadian European free trade deal has collapsed, nine years of considerably less complicated, weaker negotiations to get no where, we have this to look forward to I fear
They are still looking to sign thursday next week ,the issues are all down to the EU and the fact that they have to please all 28 members because of the rules of the single market.This issue highlights everything that is wrong with the single market and the EU and why we need to be as far away from it as possible until it is scrapped or considerably changed .If one tiny little region can hold the whole of the EU and Canada to ransome then it shows that the single market simply does not work and trying to negotiate anything with the EU is an unnecessarily difficult task.

Canada's Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland said: "From Canada's perspective, our work is done.

Quote:
"We have finished negotiating a very good agreement, and Canada is ready to sign this agreement."

Ms Freeland added: "Now the ball is in Europe's court, and it's time for Europe to finish doing its job. We very much hope that that will happen."

Addressing the timetable, Ms Freeland told journalists: "I very much hope that I will be able to return here in just a few days, to Europe, with my Prime Minister, to sign this agreement on the 27 of October."
Quote:
The new sense of optimism is in stark contrast to the situation on Friday, when Ms Freeland walked out of talks.

"It is now evident to me, evident to Canada," she said, "that the European Union is incapable of reaching an agreement - even with a country with European values such as Canada.

"Canada is disappointed and I personally am disappointed, but I think it's impossible."
says it all really.