View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 14:17   #3463
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Never ask your current employer for a reference while you're still in your current job, the last thing you want them to know is you're thinking of leaving!
Mark, don't do this - it adds no value except to make you feel better.

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
I get that, but they'll know anyway as I have to give 2 references on an application form I'm filling out, and one must be my current employer if in employment. So she'll know anyway when they call her for one. Apparently, they get their references before deciding who goes on the shortlist for interview.
Most places ask for references after interviews, as it is much more work to do it for 20 unsuccessful candidates than one successful one - they may ask for a reference if you are shortlisted for an interview, but it is very unlikely that all applicants' references are requested, and by telling her this may happen, you could damage your working relationship (and any chances of being given further opportunities, as why would somebody give a good thing to someone who has said they are leaving...).

Can I also suggest you think about an answer (should you get to interview stage) to the question "why are you leaving your current job, as you've only been there a short while?".

You need to think of positive reasons, because if you say it is because you're unhappy due to (list of reasons), they will wonder if you will feel the same way in the new job, and this may count against you.

My advice to you would be to stay in your current job until you have at least a year's solid experience, which looks better on your CV than a short spell after a long period of unemployment.

I know you are having issues, but it is likely the same type of issues will arise wherever you go, and you do seem to (at times) to be enjoying what you do and are gaining good experience.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 12-09-2016 at 14:56.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote