View Single Post
Old 25-05-2016, 14:44   #951
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No - I'm holding you to your original argument, not the one you've subtly shifted on to and hoped nobody would notice (bad luck, we did ).

That is precisely the semantic gymnastics I'm talking about. There is nothing in your original postings, over the first couple of months of this thread, that will back up your claim that you were actually referring to broadcast technology rather than the linear nature of programming. Quite the opposite in fact.
Err,, if you look at his 2nd post onwards, he is actually talking about viewing on demand programmes but based on a linear schedule. Such a "channel" could not be broadcast, so he has been consistent.

He may get confused about whether something is broadcast or not, or whether a programme is live or not, but he has been pretty consistent all along.

Linear programmes aka live shows, will be around probably forever. I don't see live news, football stopping anytime soon. But whether linear tv channels will be around in the years and decades ahead is arguable. Very. All the evidence says they won't.

The only real mistake he made was in his first post in thinking that the BBC was going to be launching some revolutionary new show that would blur the lines between linear tv and on demand. I thought the same as him.

I assumed we would be able to go into iplayer, on demand, and watch Victoria Derbyshire live. That was wrong, but it is clear what he was saying from the very beginning.

I'm on Old Boy's side on this one!

Last edited by Horizon; 25-05-2016 at 14:52.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote