View Single Post
Old 27-04-2016, 12:18   #3
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Evidence on voluntary unemployment in UK

a friend of a friend (honest he is) works part time, and likes it that way. he doesn't claim any benefits, but he says he gets paid just enough to get by, i.e. rent, bills, and food.

he says he doesn't want to work full time, and he's happy not having much in the way of material goods, when he wants a "new" CD, he happily goes to cash converters, cex, et al, takes in a few, and walks out with something new to him.

other than that he uses the library.

I guess a lot of us, are materialistic, and I guess we're brought up that way, do well at school, you can get a good job, get a nice house etc, and that's what we do, not really "living the dream" but it's what we do.

I suppose some ppl try that, don't succeed and give up, and others are happy living in relative poverty, or accepting handouts, or abusing the system.

I guess like many others, I sacrifice my time mon-fri 9-5 to be able to enjoy my evenings and weekends a little more than I could if I was without a job, but then maybe I'm not enjoying life as much as my friend's friend, or maybe he's putting on a brave face?

But then again, I also resent there's ppl without jobs, or abusing the system, working, and claiming dole, and seemingly living a better quality of live than me, i.e. they have more tv channels, get takeaways all the time etc, but some may argue they "need" those things to make their life bareable?

dunno really I think I'm rambling now I guess I wish I had more money, but I also don't want the stress that a couple of rungs up the career ladder in my line of work would bring, but some ppl like/thrive on that.

good job we're all different
admars is offline   Reply With Quote