View Single Post
Old 16-02-2016, 14:25   #600
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
As for the non-linear content providers, well I believe that market forces will compel them to run adverts eventually. Once they reach saturation point in terms of subscribers, it is the only easy way they will have in order increase revenue. Services that have made a virtue out of not running adverts may hold out for longer, but they will do it eventually, and they will use customer profiling to try to soften the blow by making their ads 'targeted' and 'relevant'.
And I believe differently on that part.

One of the reasons people like services such as Netflix is the shows are add free. Another, is that whole seasons are available in one hit.

It has changed the way I like to watch shows, and I suspect other people are the same.

Hulu, which until recently, always had adds, even on the paid subscription, has introduced another paid for tear that is add free and I recall a post on CF saying that was proving successful.

I think there will always be a demand for add free TV from cord cutters. Yes it is more than likely, like Hulu, it could be a more expensive subscription tier but some people will be prepared to pay for it.

And services like Netflix know how popular the add free aspect of their service is and resist it as long as possible. And if they are forced into it will add the add free tier at the same time.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote