View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 20:23   #2406
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
Time Warner has a lot of content, plus they can do the same as Netflix, if they don't have the rights in a particular country they just won't make it available. They also have a huge back catalogue and any service they are planning will take a few years to plan and rollout so you can imagine by the time it comes to the UK 2020 probably won't be that far away anyway.

It is nice to hear potential streaming services providers are thinking global rather then just single market. But I think any single provider will have a up hill battle against Netflix who show content from anyone willing to do business with them. A Time Warner service would be just shows and movies from their stables and I bet you would still have TV shows being available in the US first.

Netflix have done a lot right and I don't think the old guard are ready to start thinking in global terms just yet.
I compare this to when DVDs first came out and to this day, are still released on a region to region basis.

The big media and electronics companies wanted different DVD regions, but in the end if you wanted to watch a film from a different region there were ways and means.

It always amazed then and still does, that I used to be able to order a DVD from a Canadian or Australian store and it arrived within 2 days and all for under £10. All UK prices cost more (HMV etc a LOT more) and it always took a week or more for the discs to arrive.

I think Netflix is a disrupter to shake the old guard (the big media giants) and I agree they have done a lot right. But I think that is changing, they are getting too complacent, raising prices, taking liberties with customers by removing content and not giving forewarning of it etc.

Whether it be Time Warner first, Murdoch, or one of the others, eventually they'll adapt (kicking and screaming) and will come up with something better than Netflix.