View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 14:33   #492
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't think that HD or 3D for that matter are the correct analogies. HD was simply about picture quality and 3D was a fad which was always going to appeal only to a minority.

Whereas video streaming without advertisements interrupting programmes has very distinct advantages when everyone leads such busy lives. Yet many people still cling to their old ways despite time being at a premium.

It makes me laugh that people complain because they experience a delay of a few seconds when changing channels on the TIVO but they are quite happy to waste whole chunks of time waiting for a scheduled programme to start or lose 15 minutes per hour due to commercials. The Christmas edition of Downton Abbey would have lasted only 90 minutes instead of 2 hours without those infernal commercial breaks.

This nonsense will eventually be recognised and that is when a fairly rapid sea change in viewing habits will begin.

I notice that those with a different point of view have not been coming forward with their reasons for so thinking and any reasons that are obvious from the comments they make revolve around their own viewing habits.

I suspect that VM would wish to play down the changes that I foresee because these changes will cause problems for them. However, it seems to me that Sky have already grasped the nettle and are now embracing the changes to come. VM really do need to get on board this train before it leaves without them.
On demand already has adverts before and between some programs so how long before it becomes the norm? And then they`l start increasing the number of ad breaks just like ITV did some years ago. Most people like me use the ad break on linear tv to make a cuppa or nip to the toilet.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote