View Single Post
Old 26-08-2015, 10:21   #2579
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

FWIW I didn't think you were aiming to issue dire threats towards "unionists" - but I think a lot of political debate in Scotland has become infected with the assumptions and the assertions of the Yes campaign, and I believe we need to be careful, in all our discussions, of which premises we're implicitly accepting.

A lot of the Yes campaign came straight out of the hard left playbook, and sought to make the No campaign untenable by making much of its argument effectively "unsayable". As we speak, for example, there are assorted trolls and idiots all over Facebook and the comment sections of various newspapers, trying to shut down any criticism of the SNP on precisely the same (erroneous) premise you based your comments on the other day, namely that you shouldn't criticise the SNP because so many Scottish people think they're great, that criticising them is basically un-Scottish.

It's essential always to look beyond the headlines. The SNP "government" in Edinburgh and its MPs in Westminster have legitimacy as a result of the democratic system that put them there. That is not at all the same thing as saying that most Scottish adults support them, nor is it the same thing as saying that most Scottish adults now want independence.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote