View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 15:29   #356
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
TBF, I don't think OB has ever said 'suddenly'

I think Freeview linear TV will be around for a very long time and Netflix, Amazon Prime and Now TV are complementary to it.

Netflix, Amazon Prime and Now TV realise the attraction of add free viewing and will resist adds for as long as economically possible.

If Sport ever becomes fully freed up from a pay TV subscription, then pay TV channels may start to suffer subscription losses, but many people just want the simplicity of just 'switching on the telly' and so it will take a long time before any significant number of people abandon pay TV.
BIB. Yup, but to be fair to OB has been banging his drum about tv in 10/20 years time. All of them will probably be advertising by then. As has been reported, Netflix are putting their prices up again and next year my bill will probably rise from £5.99/£6.99 (I can't remember the price I pay - I think its £5.99) to £7.99 next year when they probably put prices up again - I don't know if that package will even include HD. I will not pay much more for Netflix if this continues each year. I can rent the DVD's from lovefilm by post if I am desperate to watch any of their shows/films in future. Yeah, I have to wait a bit longer to see them but I am patient enough for that.

There is no way they will not be advertising in 10/20 years time. If, somehow, they choose not to advertise I imagine they will have to flog the rights of some shows to linear TV channels.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote