View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 12:18   #321
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Seriously OB, where do you think businesses will advertize in future? You have posted on here that newspapers are on there way out in the future too, so where are companies going to advertize? Just on the internet and radio? Or do you think Tesco will not want the TV watching audiences of the future to know their beans are cheaper than Sainsburys in the future.

Adverts will just shift to VOD and we will be forced to sit through them, mainly because people don't realize how well things work at the minute and how lucky we are to have a choice to skip adverts. As well watch ad free OTT services.

Streaming companies most likely want people to transfer their viewing to online so they can charge the businesses more money by forcing people to watch adverts they can currently skip through.

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

Yup, that is indeed the only outcome of streaming.
Good point, Harry, but this is another question, the answer to which may become apparent with time. However, Netflix have already ruled out advertising on their services, and indeed it is the lack of advertising which is attracting people to use them.

The advertisers themselves will withdraw their advertising or pay much less for advertisements if people are being drawn away from broadcast channels in great numbers. True, they may move to on demand, but punters are not going to use on demand if they get flooded out with commercials as they are on broadcast channels and there are advert free alternatives available.

---------- Post added at 12:18 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute View Post
Then they will simply shift the advertising onto the VOD broadcasting like you see in 4od and the way channel 4 relaunched their whole 4od world and experience, no brainer, its big money and consumer still has the luxury of choosing what and when to watch, but still needs to be paid for and done by non passable adverts.

More of these programmes being competed for exclusitivities, or being originally made its need to be paid for. money will come direct from raising subscription, merchandise or advertisement, there is no other stream (i discounted goverment and very rich nice person)
I can't see that working, because it is not that simple. My argument is that with all the options available, people will not be prepared to sit through commercials any more and will choose alternatives.

I guess there may be a proportion of viewers who cannot afford to pay for on demand services that are on subscription and would be prepared to put up with the adverts rather than have nothing, but the question is whether these are the viewers who are valued by the advertisers and whether they view in great enough numbers.

I suspect that the viewers most likely to spend money in response to ads are those who would rather pay subscriptions. But we will see.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote