View Single Post
Old 17-04-2015, 17:05   #236
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think Chris must have a really mind blowing job taking all of his mental energy, MM. He is clearly brain dead by the time he sits himself down in the sofa!

Forgive me, Chris, but it does sound rather strange. I'm surprised you have sufficient energy to cope with channel hopping at the end of the day.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

Channel hopping is such a waste of time. If you actually find a suitable programme, you're in the middle of it.

It doesn't take a lot of forward planning to ensure a really good quality viewing experience.
You dismiss channel hopping as a waste of time, but I personally have found a lot of programmes that I have become a fan of purely through channel hopping while bored. Stargate and Babylon 5 spring to mind. Also Buffy The Vampire Slayer to some extent. Actually with Buffy, I had been told by friends I would enjoy it, but they made it sound like a teenage angst type show (like The OC or Beverly Hills 90210), so I figured I wouldn't be interested. Then, while surfing, I watched a few minutes of one episode, and was hooked. Now, I think it's probably in my top 10 favourite TV shows of all time.

You can mock all you want, but the fact is I personally find it quite relaxing in the evening to turn the TV on, and just watch something WITHOUT having to do the (admittedly minimal) amount of thinking required for any on demand service. Yes, you have the recently watched shows list, and "My Shows", but it still requires thought. As the Netflix's recommendations, no matter how long I spend fine tuning their recommendations, 90% of the time, it still recommends I watch shows or films that are of absolutely no interest to me..

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Only if the majority of viewers agree with your philosophy in 10 or 20 years' time.

The continuing success or otherwise of our linear channels is completely dependent on how many people watch them.
That's the one true thing you've said. The continuing success of ANY TV platform is dependent on how many people watch it.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote