View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 15:39   #94
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Yeah people want more (i.e. Atlantic), but I thought this was a discussion about the future of linear tv channels and how you would prefer to have the same shows on linear TV available advert free and that you want to be watch them at any given time ahead of it's scheduled showing on linear TV? Have I missed something in the way the discussion has developed over the weeks?

BTW, it's not just VM don't get access to Atlantic. You can hardly blame them if no-one else is prepared to what Sky apparently ask for.
Ironically, if VM ever did get SA (hugely unlikely), it will be a recordable linear channel with no real need for a streaming service, as you can simply record the linear broadcast. Odd you mention that when you can get it as a streaming service via Now TV!!!!!

Yup, that is a fair point about Breaking Bad etc, consider that point retracted.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:20 ----------

Lets say you can't afford pay TV, how would you pay extra to watch shows that are currently FTA on ITV? Why should the less well off have to miss out on FTA programs? LOL, so instead of adverts during the show, you will be happy to sit through the same amount of adverts at the beginning of a show and/or be bombarded with them on a webpage. Rather defeats the object, surely

Edit, why should ITV have to find alternative funding? It is working pretty well for them as it is currently.
A number of points here, but I'll be brief:

1. Yes, the discussion is how linear TV may be withdrawn or reduced in the future to be replaced by streaming services. However, this does not prevent discussions arising from that.

2. Yes, advert free, but realistically, ads will always be present. I'd be happy fast forwarding through them or having two or three at the beginning of a streaming session, but not interrupted as we have to put up with now on the commercial channels.

3. I'm not blaming VM for not being able to get Sky Atlantic. I blame Sky for that, as most of us on here do.

4. I don't think most people want to access their programmes from a whole range of equipment. Far better to have it on just one box. Now TV doesn't work for me at present as I've mentioned before.

5. As far as free TV is concerned, we currently have to pay for the TV licence. If people only paid for what they watched (rather than be compulsorily charged for channels they may not watch), it would not necessarily be more expensive. Have you ever thought about what it would cost you if you only paid for the programmes you watched? I'd save a fortune on Sky Movies for a start!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote