View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 23:29   #1090
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
With 3 recordable tuners, I don't get why people use the catchup services on Tivo so much and not just on the odd occasion.

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

I respectfully disagree.

Speed may not be the best compared with other PVRs, but it's functionality leaves them standing. And I personally have no issue with the speed of Tivo when accessing and moving between the different menus that I use.

I rarely use it for catchup, but on the odd occasion that I have, it has worked without issues.
Much prefer catchup/on demand for two reasons:
1. No/Considerably fewer ads
2. With the exception of Fox (there may be others) no digital logos. This form of penis envy amongst providers really annoys me - that's the grumpy old man coming out, and I've often considered forming the TWADL society (Television Watchers Against Digital Logos).

Tivo has annoyed me to the extent that I re-enroled with ole Rupe. Problems are numerous but include:
  • Speed (lack of)
  • Poorly organized interface, I often can't find something which (logically) should be in Catch Up but a search finds it
  • Unable to set recordings when I want them to record - not when Tivo thinks its appropriate
  • Recording conflicts - I don't feel I should have to prioitize series links etc, the box should be smart enough
  • Lack of 5.1 - both transmitted and On Demand. Last week I recorded Criminal Minds S10E07 on the Tivo, it was in stereo - tried OD, it was in stereo. The same program on Sky is transmitted in 5.1 and available OD in 5.1. Just one example.