View Single Post
Old 23-11-2014, 12:17   #5224
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Who's the provider you have a deal in place with ?
TalkTalk, with £135 cashback and graduated offers over the next 3, 6 and 12 months, but I haven't pressed submit yet, and I've just been alerted to the 12 month 50% offer for Virgin switchers to Sky on the price rise thread so I now have a couple of options, one which is paired down and probably closer to what I really need, which really isn't the 200+ channels I have now, and one which is closer to what I currently have with the full sports and hd stuff at £35 cheaper a month than I'm currently paying. £20 a month more expensive than the TalkTalk offer still, and full of channels I will never watch, but I'd be sorted for F1 in hd for another year.

Of course, £65 a month is a bargain for Sky+HD, family pack, Sky Sports HD, anytime calls and 40mb fibre broadband and doesn't quite chime with the assertion that we have to pay more than anybody else in the World to watch top level sport, especially when Virgin want £40 for the equivalent phone and broadband products alone, but like I've always said, if you think it's too much and continue to pay it then that's down, solely, to you.

I'm quite looking forward to speaking to retentions tomorrow - they're shut today - and I'm open to staying because I know what I'm getting, I know it works and I know I like it, plus I won't have to arrange engineers visits etc, but right at this moment I think they're going to have to work quite hard to keep me.

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think these recent price rises indicate a near two-tier pricing structure and this applies to most providers, not just VM. Reduced prices for those who haggle and increased prices for those who do not with an increasing difference between the two.
Absolutely, with the minority of people who shop around effectively subsidised by the majority of people who just let it slide. The business model works for the providers, but it's important for consumers to take some personal responsibility and make sure they're in the right tier.