View Single Post
Old 03-11-2014, 20:28   #650
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin TV (What's on soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It is a sitcom. Its not meant to be accurate or real.

Still doesn't make it any good though lol.
Possibly, but I think Ricky Gervais in particular may disagree. He has always advocated the importance of writing about what you know. The Office was based on his time as an office worker, with David Brent based on a former boss, who acted just like David Brent. Extras is based on the experience of being an extra, and also someone who lets success get to their head and Derek is based on the experiences of his sister who runs a care home, witht he character Derek created (in part) to show how easy it is to be kind to others. Love him or hate him, the guy writes award winning comedy that people relate to because of the everyday characters and situations Ricky Gervais recreates from his life experiences.

A few other sitcoms that seem to work for being pretty accurate to real life, Only Fools and Horses, Open All Hours, Porridge, Dads Army, Yes Minister/Prime Minister, Blackadder series (Goes Forth, in particular), Little Britain, The Inbetweeners, Fraiser, Two and A Half Men, The Thick Of it, Steptoe and Son, One Foot In The Grave and Outnumbered to name but a few.

I appreciate these may not be to your taste, but I think all successful comedies need people to relate to the situations created for them to be successful.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote