View Single Post
Old 13-04-2014, 18:56   #1115
Jimi
Permanently Banned

Services: VM
Jimi doesn't have many friendsJimi doesn't have many friendsJimi doesn't have many friends
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...orge-robertson

Scottish independence: Better Together is truly scraping the barrel now
George Robertson and his ilk are hardly of the calibre needed to boost the campaign against independence

Quote:

Kevin McKenna
The Observer, Sunday 13 April 2014

In Eamonn's Bar off East 45th Street in Midtown Manhattan last week, the talk turned to Scottish independence. The young fella with the funky glasses and the tartan tie to my left is a bar owner himself and a native New Yorker and had observed the tartan parade down Madison Avenue that had kicked off Scotland Week in the US the day before.

Both he and Sean, the bartender, were knowledgeable about the Scottish independence debate and aware that the polls are pointing to a close finish in September.

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

And this story warms my heart,taken from The Herald today.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/commen...tland.23946243

Goodbye to Labour complacency and 'forces of darkness' ... hello new Scotland
Quote:
Iain Macwhirter
Columnist
Sunday 13 April 2014
Watching the SNP at their Aberdeen conference this weekend, on the eve of a referendum on independence, I couldn't help thinking how extraordinary it is that this is happening at all.

The party may be 80 years old, but it spent most of that time in obscurity. It was Labour that led the drive to restore the Scottish Parliament in the 1980s. In the early years of Holyrood, the SNP seemed to be going backwards, and many of the measures that are now seen as SNP policies - free higher education, personal care - were actually products of the Labour-led coalition. This is the "free stuff" policy that Labour policy advisers like John McTernan now speak of with contempt.

Labour allowed the SNP to become the party of the NHS, nuclear disarmament and free education, while it has become the party of the benefits cap, immigration controls and weapons of mass destruction. I sometimes have to mentally pinch myself to remember that this is actually the case. But it is. Last month, Labour MPs voted overwhelmingly for the Coalition's arbitrary welfare cap - surely a defining moment in British politics.
Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote