View Single Post
Old 29-06-2013, 10:41   #2299
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I don't know Den, I think Itshim has a very valid point. It's getting very expensive to stay in the house to watch the game.

SKY Sports is going to be about £29.00 per month after SKY's next price increase. £36.00 if you take it in HD. If BT Sports doesn't go into XL, and costs between £12.00 to £15.00 per month, that's almost £600.00 per year to catch all the action.

Whilst going to see top level teams in England and Scotland is pretty expensive, there are plenty of cheaper options if you just want to get out to see a game every second week. Within a 15 miles radius of where I live I could get a season ticket for Falkirk for £225.00, a season ticket for Livingston for £250.00 or a season ticket for Dunfermline for £215.00. Because the grounds are so close, and I know where all the free parking is next to the grounds, I would be less than £100.00 in travel costs for the whole season.

I could honestly buy a season ticket for one of these clubs, buy their home top, buy a scarf, travel back and forth to each game, buy a program each week, buy a pie and bovril all for under £600.00. Falkirk even do parent & child season ticket for £250.00.
You're bang on. Even St Johnstone who are the 3rd best team in Scotland and playing in Europe (for a fortnight) for the 2nd season in a row do a parent and 2 child ticket for £250....fair enough it's behind the goal but all season tickets include 2 children 12 and under. My ticket costs £330 for the main stand but the east stand is only £295 and both those tickets allow the holder to take any 2 under 12s they want . Even the pay on the gate price for all stands (including away) include 2 12 and unders for free.

Drop down division and the prices get very reasonable (unless you're a Dundee fan). Even in England as soon as you drop away from the crazy top to leagues season tickets are around the £350 mark and the on the gate prices are about the same as the SPL.

But I guess the argument is that with the sports channels you get other sports as well as football. Must be a kick in the teeth if you're an VM customer and an F1 fan having to pay nearly £40 a month to watch the few races that aren't on the BBC.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote