View Single Post
Old 24-05-2012, 18:49   #1716
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
Re: [Update] The News Corp scandal

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

Quote:
Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt sent a memo to David Cameron suggesting his support for News Corp's bid for BSkyB before he was put in charge of the bid, the Leveson Inquiry heard.

Mr Hunt said the UK's media sector "would suffer for years" if the deal was blocked, according to a memo.

This was sent to Mr Hunt's ex-special adviser Adam Smith on 19 November 2010 before it went to Mr Cameron.

Number 10 said the memo was "entirely consistent" with Mr Hunt's public view.

Downing Street confirmed the prime minister received the memo, and that Mr Hunt had said in a previous newspaper interview there were no plurality grounds for blocking the deal.
Quote:
In the memo the culture secretary warned James Murdoch was "furious" about Business Secretary Vince Cable's handling of the BSkyB bid.

The document expressed concerns that referring the bid to Ofcom could leave the government "on the wrong side of media policy".
Quote:
The government has suggested the string of emails previously published by the inquiry showed Mr Michel had exaggerated the extent of his access to Mr Hunt's department.

But questioned by counsel to the inquiry, Robert Jay QC, Mr Michel denied he had "bigged up" the information Mr Smith gave him.

"I think my emails, as they were internal emails, were an accurate account of the conversations I have had," he said.
Quote:
But after Mr Hunt was handed responsibility for the BSkyB bid in December 2010, the culture secretary said in a text message exchange that all business contact "now needs to be through official channels until decision made..."

On 3 March 3 2011, Mr Hunt told MPs he was minded to accept the BSkyB takeover after News Corp offered to spin off Sky News. In response to the lobbyist's text that he was "great at the Commons", Mr Hunt replied: "Merci. Large drink tonight!"

Mr Michel contacted Mr Hunt by text message later in March 2011 after his appearance on Andrew Marr's BBC programme to say he had been "very good". Mr Hunt replied: "Merci hopefully when consultation over we can have a coffee like the old days!"

When News Corp withdrew the BSkyB bid, Mr Hunt's response to a text from Mr Michel said "It has been the most challenging time for all of us... would be great to catch up when the dust has settled."

Mr Jay referred to an email in which Mr Michel called on the secretary of state, via Mr Smith, to "show some backbone" and dismiss Ofcom's calls for concessions.

Mr Michel told the inquiry: "It's my English - I might use words in a more melodramatic way than I intended."

Under earlier questioning, Mr Michel agreed Mr Hunt was "keeping an open mind" about the bid but when asked whether he had been supportive of it, he replied: "I can't say."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18187228

Or is it just me?
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote