View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 11:38   #63
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Falkland Islands: Tensions Rising again ahead of Prince William visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Which is a handy way of shutting down debate, that I have seen more and more often recently. Someone debates the merits of an armed intervention and are dismissed because they themselves won't be doing the fighting. The Military has always been at the disposal of the Government and when someone joined the armed forces they follow the orders they are given. That's not to say their views are not important but they are not the only views that matter.
There is a very real difference between debating "the merits (or otherwise) of an armed intervention" and simply calling for same.

Quote:
It's British soil. That is a given. It's people are British and it's owned by Britain. Just because Argentina want it doesn't make it disputed.
It is "British soil" in only the most rudimentary sense of possession being nine tenths of the law. Again, I am not disputing the chosen nationality of its population but with all due respect I suggest you do a bit of reading on the history, geography and the disputed constitutional standing of the Falklands and you'll see that its ownership is anything but a given.

Quote:
If France started laying claim to the channel islands we would rightly tell them to go away.
Yes, you probably would - but for entirely different reasons as they are not part of Britain but are crown dependancies (and not forming part of Britain) rather than overseas territories.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote