View Single Post
Old 19-01-2012, 15:49   #3
rallyestyle
Inactive

rallyestyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Moving: Change of contract issue

Thanks Ben, i am now aware of most of the above (apart from point 2, thanks) but feel aggrieved that non of it was highlighted to me when i moved. I phoned expecting exactly that kind of info and was simly told the move would be as simple as plugging up the machine in the new house, i wasnt even asked if i was aware of the t&c's . Also when i spoke to Virgin before going to Oz i would have cancelled the new contract had i known it would not have been sorted out (or been told about the terms and conditions of moving) and gone with a cheaper deal (as i do actually rate the Virgin service) but as Virgin have taken too long to sort it out i fear i am outside cancellation of the contract even though i havent signed anything. I think all of this can easily be sorted out even if it means switching to a cheaper non mates rate deal and recalculating the past 2 months but it just seems so hard to get anywhere with the customer service and its stressing me out that my bill just keeps on going up and up

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:26 ----------

I have read this now and feel i have had my hand forced by the Virgin Media customer service/cancellation staff:

J Ending these agreements
1. For services other than premium television services, either Virgin Media Ltd or you may end these agreements at any time (including during or at the end of any minimum period) by giving the other 30 days' notice. You must pay any charges (including usage charges and line rental) up to the end of that 30-day notice period. You may also have to pay an early disconnection fee if your services end within the relevant minimum period as set out in paragraph J2.
2. If you end one or more services (other than premium television services) during the minimum period for such services (other than in the circumstances outlined in section K or paragraph J5), or if you break these agreements and Virgin Media Ltd and/or Virgin Media Payments ends these agreements under section L (including for non-payment of charges) within the minimum period applicable to those services, you must immediately pay (to Virgin Media Payments) an early disconnection fee in respect of each cancelled service by way of compensation to us for ending those services early. You can find details of these charges on the Virgin Media Ltd website. The early disconnection fee will not be more than the charges you would have paid for your chosen services for the remainder of the minimum period less any costs we save, including the cost of no longer providing you with those services.
3. If Virgin Media Ltd and/or Virgin Media Payments:
a. increase their respective charges under these agreements;
b. make significant changes to the services so the services you are entitled to receive in return for the charges you pay are significantly altered or reduced; or
c. make significant changes to the terms and conditions of these agreements (including the other legal stuff),

you may cancel those services affected without penalty by giving Virgin Media Ltd and/or Virgin Media Payments (as applicable) at least 30 days' notice. Such notice must be given within 30 days of the increase in charges or changes to the services or this agreement being notified to you. If you were not notified of these changes in advance, you must give notice of cancellation of the services affected to Virgin Media Ltd and/or Virgin Media Payments (as applicable) within 30 days of receipt of your first bill following such increase in charges. If you do not give notice of cancellation within the specified period, you will be deemed to have accepted the increase in charges and/or the changes to the services and these agreements. You will no longer be able to cancel your services under this paragraph. If you cancel any services in these circumstances, the increased charges will not apply to those services during the 30-day notice period and paragraph J2 will not apply if you cancel before the end of the minimum period.

I could have cancelled the contract when i got back from Oz under clause 3a but by the looks of things i have been stalled so that now im outside of my 30 day cancellation window. Why would they do such a thing, if they knew i had no hope of switching back to my mates rate contract they should have been 100% honest on the numerous occasions i spoke with the customer service team on the phone
rallyestyle is offline   Reply With Quote