View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 13:15   #210
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
We are already paying for the crazy wage settlements of bankers, CEO's Rich Shareholders and Footballers and the wages of people in other sports Look what happed when we got rid of unions from other areas of transport, RESULT: Less employment, worse jobs, less pay and other benifits!
On the flip side: Tube workers get what they want. Due to the disruption, companies lose a lot of money. TFL have to increase fares to pay for what the Tube drivers demand. Thus people have to pay more. Those people will have to either have increased wages, or try and cut their own costs. Either way, other companies end up (indirectly) paying. If they pay too much, they risk financial trouble, or have to cut costs themselves (even the major companies have finite resources - ask the staff of Woolworths and Focus), which may result in store or office closures, and job losses.

In the mean time, the strike action persuades international companies to look at cities in other countries to put their headquarters. After all, their staff need a reliable transport infrastructure to get to work, and higher fares will mean higher wage demands. If even one of these companies closes their UK office, this can result in thousands of job losses.

You think that doesn't happen? I ready a couple of years ago that HSBC had already threatened to move their world headquarters from it's current home in Canary Wharf. A building that houses thousands of workers.

Quote:
Then those [Mod Edit] are Scabs (the Governmnent should ban strike breaking)!
On the contrary, the Government should not only not ban strike breaking, but they should increase the number of jobs where striking is banned.
Quote:
They do not have Unionised workers, I would comprmise on the fact that in exchange for benifit and wage cuts in bad times, they should recive a decent share of the profits, and when times are good take back the wage and benifit cuts!
Personally, I am not opposed to more companies doing profit shares in the same way as John Lewis does. It's worked well for them, their staff and their customers.

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
What about general Elections, If there is less than 50% voted, does that nullfy the reslut, may I go on about Shareholder Meetings, House of Commons and Lords etc...

And what about the fact that some members are too busy working to be voting!
Personally, I do think we should investigate ways to persuade more people to start voting.

Regarding your comment about members being too busy working, I'd argue that if ANY union member cared enough about a subject to want to strike about it, he or she would make the time to vote.

Although judging by what a couple of tube drivers I know have said about the job, I doubt that most of the membership would be too busy working to find time to vote..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote