View Single Post
Old 24-12-2011, 15:59   #808
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Thats possible as I understand it.

eg. leics only had 1 ubr covering the entire city so that ubr would be serving several nodes at the very least. The situation described probably does exist in some areas and makes a mockery of what VM are doing since clearly things can be balanced better but are not.
Given there are 17 of them there in Leicester's own hub site now, 4 of which are Motorola BSRs VM must have been pretty busy getting the other 16 onto the network in such a short time, and of course there is also the minor issue that Leicester is served by more than one hub site, so VM must've done something pretty special and made Leicester pretty unique for a city served by Leicester and Northfields (which has 12 VXRs and 2x10k) to all be hooked to a single uBR.

I must admit I struggle to see exactly why VM would put 2 Motorola BSRs into my hub with its 4 VXRs, one of which was only half full, and only use 1 for a site with 13 VXRs.

If space were a problem they'd either wait until more space was available or do a displacement build, swapping VXRs for BSRs directly.

That was well worth clicking the 'View Post' button for.

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
So what are VM using, if they have this many upstream channels available why do they all seem so congested? Most areas are using 4 downstreams and 1 upstream, and if theres 72 down and 60 up, why cant it be 4 down and 3 up for each modem, that would certainly lower ping and jitter and stop TBB ping graphs looking like a house fire.

Im sure theres a reason why not, but I cant work it out myself
Most areas with any kind of load are using multiple upstreams, in addition most areas have more than one node sharing the downstream, say the 4 downstreams split across 2 nodes, with each node having 2 independent upstreams.

Very few areas running on a single DOCSIS 2 upstream, majority of issues are down to 100Mb users going nuts and bad congestion handling by the Cisco 10k. You can tell a congested Motorola from a congested 10k pretty easily.

Once line card swaps are finished VM can do upstream bonding.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote