View Single Post
Old 24-12-2011, 15:39   #806
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
I guess it all depends at what level you are measuring. The 200Mbps is at the node level (or even sub node? - depends on definitions) and the modems served will be in the low (hopefully very low) hundreds. You could have a completely borked node yet the overall CMTS (which I think serve several thousand modems) could be at a tiny overall utilisation level.

That is a couple of torrent freaks nearby may wipe out your street but they will have no impact at all on the overall district. This is why cable is more susceptible to heavy usage than xDSL where the contention point is thousands of users on far fatter pipes.

Unless of course (as is often the case) I've got it all wrong.
That's fine, though there is no 'sub node'. The node is as far as it goes and there's no way to break modems down into smaller groups apart from adding more channels and spreading devices across them.

Each 10k can hold 8 cable line cards, one line card that comes to mind can have 72 downstreams and 60 upstreams, split that 12 ways you've 12 service groups of 6 downstreams and 5 upstreams.

Basically fully load a Cisco 10k with that you've close to 24Gbps of downstream and, using the current schemes VM are, 8.7Gbps of upstream capacity.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote