View Single Post
Old 13-09-2011, 13:44   #148
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: R30 - Superhub R29 is no more....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCalling View Post
Changing # of 5Ghz channels to 4? I do hope they mean spatial streams and not channels as 5Ghz is supposed to have MORE channels than 2.4Ghz, not less! This is supposed to be an improvement, not a crippling of 5Ghz mode.

Assuming they mean spatial streams, this is great news. Previously we had 2 spatial streams limiting us to 300meg. 4 streams should lift this up to 600meg. Really providing the best wireless connection possible as originally advertised. Can anyone confirm this is true?

Also, does the Netgear wireless adapter dongle supplied with the Superhub actually support 4 spatial streams and therefore 600meg functionality?
No. There's no consumer devices on the market that support 600mbps. 450mbps is becoming more common but is hard enough to get right.

There's no possible way for the Superhub to support 600mbps via a firmware update - the wireless card in it only has 2 outputs. VM could potentially release a new version of the SH with faster wireless but I doubt they will.

4 channels is actually fairly realistic on 5Ghz - there's only really a few channels on 5Ghz you can use without DFS and considering how bad VM got everything else wireless on the SH wrong I wouldn't be surprised if they had to switch off the extra channels for legal reasons.

Or maybe they're trying to cut down on the number of standards they're violating in order to maybe one day achieve wifi certification for the thing... Like that'll ever happen

In any case 2.4Ghz only has 3 truly non-overlapping channels (4 at a stretch).

Oh, and lets not forget, almost everything Mark Wilkin said about 5Ghz in the Superhub FAQ is wrong.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote