View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 22:58   #43
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Just got 50mb Broadband - Signal levels ok?

it isn't just the size, it is knowing you can/should get the speed as well. Let me take a look around and i'll get back to you

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

ok dude, a couple of things to mention which prove my point. I just popped over to thingbroadband.com to download a 1gb file and just by clicking on the link to download I only got 1.8mb/sec. If i pasted the link into my download accelerator I got 4.2mb/sec. The reason why I have no probs getting 4-5mb/sec with torrents and newsgroups is because they also utilise multiple connections when downloading which is I think is the only way you are going to saturate your connection. Either that or download multiple files at the same time.

The second point I wanted to make is with speedtests:

If i had made the mistake of using the speedtest from Coventry and running a large file download test but click on the link I could be whining like anything now saying I am only getting 10-20mbits when I know it is not true. I know I can get 50mbits as long as a server can pump the juice in my direction. Although the results look disappointing I know that if i want any torrents or anything from newsgroups right now it'll zip along quite happilly at 5mb/sec.

I suggest you get a download accelerator which will intergrate itself into IE and automatically open your download links for you, it is the only way you are going to get the most out of your connection from browsing websites. The most I have got from using a non-multiple connection (i.e newsgroups and torrents) prog is when I download games on Steam and I get 3.5mb/sec
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote