View Single Post
Old 25-12-2009, 12:07   #7
zorba
Inactive

zorba is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: netgear router broke OR virgin internet moved goalposts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
"good call IF other pcs were in same room or wirable up, but they aint :-(
"

dont get it?, if they worked before, they will work in that masterPC1 config too... all your doing is replacing the little router with a masterPC1 all the LAn parts should be the same, other than disabling the routers DHCP and using the windows PC networking DHCP instead....
I get the bit about the PC replacing the router, now.... Sorry. Only problem is PC has only one wired ethernet card.

But your talk of DHCP has made me realise that if the PC needs to be a DHCP client of the CM, then the router should be as well! i.e. I shouldn't worry about trying to find this elusive static WAN IP address.

Quote:
but lets move on as you have a green light on the router WAN now and that should be good.

right , so your directly connected LT is getting a valid WAN Ip in the same range as the 82.7.somethng.something your now seeing on the routers page, thats good.
LT=Line Terminator?
ie. the PC connected to the CM directly?

NB I did not see the 82.7.x.x address on the router page. I got it from ipconfig on the PC when it was directly connected to the router.

Quote:
is there a page on the router were you can enter a ping command, pinging http://www.cableforum.co.uk from the router page proves its got a working VM IP from the internal DHCP of the CM, and the routers set for auto DHCP on the WAN port yes!
Sorry, no ping utility FROM the router, but after changing WAN settings to one of those candidate IP addresses I'd identified, it does try and load the netgear website as a test. But fails.

Quote:
if the ping from the router page works but the LT ping to the same doesnt , then its likely a LAN setting thats wrong, not the VM WAN part, and thats OK for now.

if the router ping fails on the URL but works on ping 87.106.245.143 then its still good But the VM DNS are not being filled in automaticly, but thats not likely, so do both to be sure from the router page if it exists in your router device.
if by LT you mean the PC directly connected to the CM, then ping to cableforum.co.uk works fine

Sorry don't understand what VM stands for in "VM WAN"...

Remember, I can't ping from the router directly, but will try pinging from the laptop that I've got hardwired into it. Will try both domain and IP addresss 87.106.245.143 (which last ping informs me is the cableforum address).

Quote:
next you say the LAN part, remember that seperate to the WAN part, is getting or rather is set to give out an auto IP = 10.0.0.X (last digit obscured for obvious reasons!) range to the PC's.

you dont need to obscore the local LAN addresses as noone but You can access them as their behind the NAT of the router.
Even though 10.0.0.X looks like a local address, I was worried it might be a WAN address, and thought safety first!
It appeared in a router page called "Router Status", as follows:

Internet Port
==========
MAC Address= 00:14:a:b:04:e9
IP Address=10.0.0.137
DHCP=DHCP client
IP subnet=255.0.0.0
DNS=.....

The "internet" bit got me thinking it might be WAN related. On reflection I now think that this section refers to the socket that goes to the CM, and that 10.0.0.137 is the local "LAN" address (this socket and the CM's RJ45 port constitue a LAN also remember, even if only two terminals!)

There is another section here relating to the FUNCTIONAL LAN (we'll call it)

LAN Port
======
MAC Address= 00:14:a:b:04:e8
IP Address=192.168.1.1
DHCP=On
IP subnet=255.255.255.0

This gives the "true" LAN settings

Quote:
so it seems right now the router is getting a valid CM WAN Ip of 82.7.something.something and your LAN part of the router is trying to give out Ip ranges in the 10.0.0. range, were the PCs Ips in that same range before or a 192.168.1. range perhaps.
My mistake by not being clear in prev. posts.
I don't know which WAN IP address the router was getting off the CM.
The 82.7.x.x was what the PC got off the CM when connected directly.
LAN part of router trying to give out 192.168.1.x addresses.
The 10.0.0.x range is just for local communication between router and CM i think.

Quote:
if not, then theres a little messing perhaps later, if your PCs are currently set for static IPs right now, they may need to be changed to auto IP or set the old range and I no they used already on the routers LAN pages, but lets get one LT working through the router for now.

rember theres two distinct parts to this, one the WAN side ofthe router were it needs to be set to auto DHCP to get its Ip DNS and mask from the CM.

and the second part were all the PC on the house LAN side get all their IPs and default route etc from the routers settings, its a chain, one part does not effect the other.

the CM has its one time DHCP server to give the connected device its valid IP,DNS,and mask etc, in this case your directly connected device, the LT when you connect this direct and power cycle the CM and PC.

OR the router when thats the first device inline and after power cycling the CM and then router...

the router have its own seperate local DHCP server to give the connected devices ON the LAN house side their valid IP,DNS,and mask etc.

the House PCs weather connected wired or wirelessly only really care about the router LAN side settings they get given.

the router cares about the right WAN settings its auto given by the CM, and the LAN things its asked to pass along as a totally seperate thing if that makes sense, how you doing, getting anywere!
following you now!

Quote:
if your not getting anywere, do you have a spare PC? i'll call it 'masterpc1' with windows installed and two working ethernet cards, then you can try that option too...
Sorry, don't have one to hand. I feel were close to getting the router going though...

Quote:
but times getting on and its been 30+ minutes waiting for a reply so im off soon as i dont like wasting my time, especially today.
Sorry... I went to bed after my last post last night. Thought you'd gone too as all had been quiet for a while. I should have been clearer about that. I assumed the "happy xmas All" would communicate that I was over and out. Thanks for your generosity in staying on and typing all this out!

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

ok, some good progress

I am now posting this from the laptop connected to the internet via the router !!

So, I set the laptop to be a DHCP client of the router, and rebooted it.
While that was going on I reset the router
(by default it becomes a DHCP client of the CM, and takes LAN address 192.168.1.1, resets password etc.)
while that happening I rebooted the CM

CM came up, waited for ready light to go solidly on
rebooted router,
connected laptop, went to config page
config page ran the wizard. no internet connection on router yet, orange LED still

I went into manual router config - internet LED went from orange to yellow to green even before I did anything !!

Confirmed that router is a DHCP client of CM

...now I just need to get all LAN clients set to use DHCP
..and to get the wireless bit up and running again

should be easy enuff- hard part done - hurray!!
zorba is offline   Reply With Quote