Thread: US Timeline V - 2009 : Season 1
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 19:21   #69
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
re: V - 2009 : Season 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What's the quality like? I watched repeats on Sci Fi a couple of years ago and the print they were working from was very, very ropey.
Don't know yet - it was dispatched today.

The last time I watched the entire lot though was probably about 10 years ago when I had the VHS box set, so I'd hope the quality is at least better than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Play.com do it for the same price and FREE delivery
LOL, I forgot to even check Play.com.

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/60297...t/Product.html

Still, I had a code for Amazon which wiped out the postage cost. Plus, if I had ordered it from Play.com I would have had to wait longer due to it being shipped from Jersey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
you do realise you have spent £18 on total cheese don't you lol
It's *classic* cheese

Besides, you should see my DVD collection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moroboshi View Post
Well I watched the pilot tonight and thought it was total rubbish. The plot moved far, far too quickly, making it feel horribly rushed and poorly written. There was no build up, no suspense, and events which happened in the original several episodes in happened within the first 20 minutes... It was a mess.

Add to that the relentless pro christianity propaganda and this isn't something I'll be watching again. The current crop of American TV, excluding the superb Mad Men Season 3, has been disappointing, but this new V remake has been by far the worst so far.
I agree that the pace was rushed. I think it would have been better spread over a feature length pilot.

I did still enjoy it though.

Relentless pro-Christianity propaganda?

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
I think the original was so good because the creator was actually writing a story about facism, and specifically about the Nazi treatment of the Jewish peoples (replace the jews with the humans and the nazis with the visitors). As such, the original story, although science fiction, felt like it could be real.

The new one doesn't have that, but it has introduced several new concepts, and while the first episode was a bit patchy, it did introduce several potentially intresting plotlines.

Spoiler: 

I found it interesting that in one section of the program, the mentioned that the visitors had been engineering wars, terrorist incidents and various distasters. It then mentioned that they were planning Universal Healthcare and it seemed as though the script writer was putting this on the same platform as the terrorist. Never thought of the NHS as a terrorist organisation..
Yup. I think the original was actually originally meant to be about human fascists coming to power in the US (inspired by an old novel IIRC), but was changed to "alien lizards" after the network rejected the original pitch.

Re. your spoiler, I have read that some US critics have claimed that the pilot as a whole is a "commentary on Obamamania".

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Yup. I think the original was actually originally meant to be about human fascists coming to power in the US (inspired by an old novel IIRC), but was changed to "alien lizards" after the network rejected the original pitch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_%2819...%29#Influences

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Can%27t_Happen_Here
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote