Old 28-05-2009, 12:41   #55
beasty54
cf.addict

Services: 1gb, Full TV
beasty54 is on a distinguished roadbeasty54 is on a distinguished road
Re: HD is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsanta11 View Post
Seeing little joe smoe, with his cinema sized panel above the fireplace or squeezed into the corner of their pokey little room ,never fails to bring a chortle from my normally sad face

(It's on the same scale as seeing someone wearing trainers(especially white grubby ones )with a suit or black pants")

He's not bothered about optimal veiwing distance/screen size ,or calibrating the set ,the important thing to him is being able to say "i've got a 50ft tv " to his mates
Along with a few over priced cables ,monster brand of course,
what a character
I dont like that statement at all I have a 40" 1080p LCD in a very small room but i sit at the optimal viewing distance (according to the THX site) and it looks and sounds fantatstic. Ive not bothered with a professional calibration and i wont untill i get a new tv next year BUT i have spent a lot of time calibrating the image and sound myself as its extremely important.
I've had a few people laugh at my setup and say what a waste, all that equipment in such a small room but the main reason they have to drop comments like that is because they either cant afford it or the wife wont let them... it only takes 10 minutes of a blu-ray at -10db to put a smile on their face

Oh.. all my hdmi cables were between £10 and £20 and i didn't like handing over £40 for 2 nevermind £120 for a monster HDMI cable.

Not everyone is a showoff and a large TV doesn't need an extremely large room especially when the optimal viewing distance from a 40" 1080p tv is 5.5'

Back on the topic of overated HD, personally i cant stand watching too much SD anymore simply because it looks terrible in comparison. I still have plenty of DVDs but watching Transformers on Blu-ray is in another league. The same principle applies to TV broadcasts, 24, heroes, and prison break in SD look awfull compared to the HD versions.
beasty54 is offline   Reply With Quote