Old 04-05-2009, 22:39   #3
dd11
Inactive

Services: XL V+ HD - 50mb Broadband, XL Phone - Free Satellite
dd11 is on a distinguished roaddd11 is on a distinguished road
Re: Home Server & Wake On Lan (wol) - Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by brundles View Post
There's no reason you couldn't do that setup, but (AFAIK) you couldn't use the web access as the WOL trigger without some intermediary. The WOL is triggered by a specifically designed packet (known as a magic packet) sent to the network card that includes the MAC of that card. The other complication is that the majority of home routers aren't particularly WOL friendly - it all boils down to what port forwarding options they use and how they deal with the ARP table I think.

If the site is to be used by a very select number of people you could give them the MAC details so they can wake the PC up themselves if it's not running, but that's about it I think.
oh i get you i think, So i could possibly have it set up so my domain name goes to a free hosting site where i can just have a simple page saying "enter here" or somthing like that, and that enter here link actualy sends a magic packet to my pc waking it up and directing the user to my home site...if that all makes sense? (and hoping my router is friendly enough).
dd11 is offline   Reply With Quote