View Single Post
Old 14-01-2009, 13:01   #21
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 55 DbmV upstream power level

Quick FYI from the newsgroups:

Quote:
Hi Broadbandings,

I must apologise, I have been misinformed regarding the use of attenuators.
As you suspected you cannot add an attenuator to lower the upstream power
level. Sorry for the mix-up.

-- Kind Regards Lee Grant Virgin Media Technical Support
---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by caph View Post
Sounds like it could be BS to me too but the only logical conclusion to that is that service engineers deliberately lie to customers to fob them off. It's possible but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. His words were more along the lines of - they're up to their neck in it and the power levels are all over the place and will be until they're finished.

Sorry to jump thread but you are almost exactly describing my current UCD problem apart from the downstream problem.

My event log is showing continual critical errors of "Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received" followed by the UDC message. And my upstream power levels keeps getting higher and higher (hit 60db tonight). The only thing is my downstream power is 0.6 and my downstream SNR is a healthy 36.3. Can you think of any reason why my modem keeps shouting but not getting a reply?
Hrm they might be doing work cleaning up the network in preparation for the 50Mbit but it shouldn't be breaking things and extra extra combining should be done at the hubsite's RPM and not affecting current services as the combining will be to the new equipment not the current stuff.

With my tech hat on and being sober for a change, you are losing your upstream channel - there's too much attenuation on your upstream path and the CMTS / uBR isn't able to hear you properly and is requesting transmit power increase, or doesn't hear you at all - which is why you aren't getting a ranging response - the CMTS can't respond when it didn't hear anything.

The UCD message likely indicates you have changed upstream, you lose your lock on the upstream you were on and move to a new one, the new one has a different UCD hence the message.

You really do need a tech to sort your return / upstream path.

---------- Post added at 13:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Day View Post
is this black cable still coax? only it seems very tough and "plastic" to be coax, i doesnt seem to want to bend easily.

Steve
Decent coax not the 99p for a kilometre stuff is quite tough and 'plastic' - it's supposed to have multiple levels of shielding for the inner core of the cable
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote