View Single Post
Old 28-10-2008, 22:39   #1
Kiryu
Inactive

Services: VM TV+BB XXL
Kiryu is an unknown quantity at this point
DIR-655 (Highly Recommended)

I want to start off by clarifying that I AM NOT A D-LINK FAN.

I used to have a bad experience with dlink equipment being buggy and poorly implemented.

I stumbled across this : Smallnetbuilder Review for DIR-655

After reading the review, I just had to try if it was as good on paper in practice.

Bought my kit from www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk and got my stuff the next day. Great!

Now to clarify, I used to own a WRT54G v2 running Tomato 1.21 due to its excellent QOS and efficient routing performance. I was easily getting my full 20Mb/768k on my Line.

My network consists of:

1 laptop running Ubuntu with Squid proxy server for some external clients.
1 laptop for P2P (uploading linux distros and updates)
1 laptop which was for general browsing
2 desktops for gaming and downloading your favorite BBC vids on iPlayer.
1 RTX dualphone 3088 Skypephone (my voip provider)

So you can see, my network gets alot of heavy use but my poor WRT54G just couldnt cope when the 2 laptops were doing their stuff and the network would lag so bad, calls wouldnt go through and nobody can browse.

Going back to the DIR-655, 1 thing that impressed me most was the CPU which runs at a cool 275MHz. As per the review, this CPU incorporates "Stream Engine Technology" that automatically classifies network traffic with its QOS. And i can say, it does a great job of it.

Learn about Stream Engine

Wireless coverage is excellent, not had a chance to try the 802.11n side as only have 802.11g clients.

Wired however is very stable, been playing online on UK servers with pings as low as 3ms-5ms. (thats with everything else running on my network at full blast.)

Conclusion: you have to try it to believe it, make the most out of your connection!
Kiryu is offline   Reply With Quote