View Single Post
Old 27-07-2008, 00:10   #12
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Sky HD slashed to £150 - new & existing customers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Im pretty certain you don't need both connected, but obviously some of the functions will not work. I can disconnect one tuner on my Sky+ for you at some point to test if you like. Is your Sky dish connected to a socket on the wall?

With Sky+ & Sky+HD boxes, tuner 2 is normally used for recording, while tuner 1 is used for viewing/recording.

If you only have one input connected, e.g. to tuner 1, then it complicates things whenever you want to do an unattended recording. You have to set a "dummy" recording, which overlaps what you really want, so that tuner 2 gets tied up with the dummy recording. This then causes the actual recording you want recorded to use tuner 1 instead.

Plus obviously only one input means you can't watch one thing & record another, or record two things. You can of course still record whatever you are watching though.

There are other ways around having only one feed, e.g. using a smart priority switch (I use one on my Sky HD box, as we have a communal dish with only one feed per flat). But you need to hook it to the TV SCART on the STB, which while OK for a Sky HD box (as you're prob. using HDMI!) isn't really doable on a Sky+ box as you need it for the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
I think if I bought a sky+ box from somewhere other than SKY i can just ring them up give them the Serial Number and get my viewing card paired to the "new" stb.

Yep, as Graham said there is nothing wrong with getting the box from somewhere else, & just phoning Sky to pair the box & card.

I bought my Sky HD box off eBay last year & installed it myself. Just phoned Sky to pair it with the card, & activate the Sky+ functions.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote