View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 18:25   #5
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age
Re: Wireless router with Virgin Set-top box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
What usually works is:
  • Turn everything off
  • Hook up Router to STB
  • Hook up PC to router using a wired connection
  • Turn STB on and wait for the online light
  • Turn Router on
  • Turn PC on
  • In a web browser go to start.ntl and follow on screen instructions, entering the 10 digit PID when requested and using 1234 as the password
  • Turn everything off AGAIN when it tells you to
  • Turn STB on and wait for the online light
  • Turn Router on
  • Turn PC on

Once you can connect to the net, you should be able to set up the wireless connection as per the router instructions
Doing it this way he shouldn't have to use the pid number as i have never had to in the past when using, a stb or modem and i've done loads of router jobs for virgin customers.

Try it as above but don't go straight to the start.html page go to say google or something and see if it loads that.
Then if it does just log in to the router via firefox or IE dependent on which you use, then just config the wireless settings.
If i remember right for belkin and most routers the ip to get access to the router, in that manner is 192.168.0.1 then if it asks for a username and password they are usually root and root or something along those lines.
But you can use a router with a stb the, only time i know off people struggling is when they had a pace box, and on the back above the ethernet port it said
x-over, required so they just needed a crossover adapter or cable and it then worked fine.