View Single Post
Old 15-03-2007, 10:58   #24
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Wireless information

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
Hi,

I'm a wifi novice and I have just got a new laptop with bluetooth and wireless. I want to connect to my nearest free hotspot safely.

How do I know if a hotspot is free and how do I connect given that they seem to ask for keys which I don't have.

I don't want to end up piggybacking illegally on someone's wireless internet connection.

How do I enable WPA security and prevent wifi hackers accessing my system please?

Any advice would be most welcome.
If a 'hotspot' is asking for an encryption key, it is secured and probably not free. If it is a public hotspot, contact the owner/admin to get the encryption key.
WPA encryption is set on the router (aka base station or hotspot) and every client connecting has to use it.
If you have your own wireless router then WPA should be enabled if it is available but how to enable it depends on the model of the router.
HTH
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote