View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 20:32   #14
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Here is info and pic's of sky's vod service

....possibly. Lots of wild speculation in another thread that Sky will ditch its channels from cable. I think this is highly unlikely, think of all the complaints from 24 viewers for a start...What is more likely is that Sky may withhold its HD content from cable for another year or so. HD is a money spinner for Sky and exclusive to them, so why would Sky give this advantage up to cable? That said, "cable" is the largest supplier of digital channels to Sky, if you include UKTV too. So both sides have a bargaining chip. I'm pretty sure a deal with be done between the sides.

The fight between Sky and cable will be over price and what you get for your money. Cable has VOD as its advantage and especially fast broadband. Sky will always have the advantage of having more channels. Sky, also has been an innovator in new technology, ie Sky+. So, if they released, as speculated elsewhere, a multi-tuner Sky+ with 5/6/7/8 tuners. I doubt cable could compete with that in the near term. So customers have a genuine choice between fast reliable broadband and vod, or billions of channels and a possible souped-up Sky+. The choice is ours